Poll: All drive systems of today will still be relevant in 10 years

Poll: All drive systems of today will still be relevant in 10 years

Market news |
Automotive supplier Bosch wanted to know: What types of drive systems do European citizens regard as relevant for the future? Gasoline, diesel, battery electric drive or fuel cell? Surprise: The balance will shift, but all four species will remain topical.
By Christoph Hammerschmidt


Electric cars with battery or fuel cell, but also gasoline and diesel – according to a representative Bosch survey in four European countries, conducted by the market research institute Innofact, all types of drive remain relevant.

If they had to decide on a new car tomorrow, half of those surveyed in Germany, France, Italy and the UK would still choose a pure combustion engine for their primary car and around a third for their second car. But when asked about the most-used drive system in 2030, around 68 % of those surveyed in Europe believe that electric drive will be the most popular, ahead of hybrids and internal combustion engines. Potential is attributed to electric driving with the fuel cell.

The openness of those surveyed to different types of drive is also evident in another topic: when asked whether, in addition to the state subsidies often granted for electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles, they also approve of purchase premiums for vehicles that run exclusively on combustion engines, 70 % of the Europeans surveyed said yes. Approval of state financial aid for the purchase of a car with conventional drive is highest in Italy (83 %) and lowest in the UK (60 %). In France 77 % are in favor, in Germany 62 %.

The Bosch experts find two things interesting: First, 72 % of the city dwellers in the four European countries surveyed consider the internal combustion engine worthy of support. Secondly, a majority (80 %) of the 18 to 29-year-old age group is also in favor of a combustion bonus.

Cars with conventional engines can also be driven climate-neutrally. The key to this is synthetic fuel, the so-called eFuels – these are produced from renewable hydrogen and with CO₂, from the ambient air. On average, 57 % of the survey participants agree with the statement that politics should promote eFuels through tax incentives.

The importance of the car and its significance for mobility will not change in the near future. Around 60 % of the respondents in the investigated geographies cannot imagine doing without a car. And of the remaining 40 %, the vast majority are only prepared to do without a car in part. In rural areas, the approval rate for a car is 77 %. Incidentally, the same applies to the generation of 18 to 29-year-olds, around half of whom also give a clear vote for a car.

While all respondents in Germany (61 %) and Great Britain (47 %) cited high flexibility as the most important reason for a car, the French (41 %) need it above all for work. In contrast, the Italians surveyed (55 %) prefer the car to other, for them more cumbersome forms of mobility.

Bosch is approaching the future of the drive system with an open mind for technology. The technology and service company is pursuing the vision of CO₂-neutral and virtually emission-free traffic in several ways. On the one hand, the company has set itself the goal of becoming the market leader in electromobility with battery and fuel cell powered vehicles. On the other hand, Bosch continues to develop combustion engines. After all, gasoline and diesel can also be driven in a climate-neutral manner with renewable synthetic fuels. By 2030, Bosch expects that around one third of all newly registered vehicles worldwide will be purely electric. Two thirds of all new vehicles will still be powered by a combustion engine, many of them as hybrids.

More information: https://www.bosch.de/en/


Related articles:

MAN rolls out zero emission roadmap

Lightweight fuel cell vehicle enables green mobility

Bosch resolutely advocates hydrogen drive

Scientists demand strict and combined measures to reduce CO2 in road traffic

Crisis speeds transition to electromobility, says ZF

Plenty of efficiency headroom for combustion engines, says Schaeffler


Linked Articles
eeNews Automotive