Safety is a major concern in automotive applications to ensure reliable operation and user well-being. Microchip Technology has introduced newly certified functional safety packages that enable designers to develop their products in compliance with ISO 26262 for functional safety. These packages cover Microchip's dsPIC33C digital signal controllers (DSCs) and PIC18 and AVR microcontrollers (MCUs), which can accelerate the development of safety-critical designs for ASIL B and ASIL C safety levels and certification.
The complete functional safety ecosystem around the dsPIC33C DSCs includes:
- AEC-Q100 Grade 0 qualified dsPIC33C DSCs, designed for functional safety, with dedicated hardware safety features.
- SGS-TÜV Saar-certified, ASIL-B-compliant FMEDA (Failure Modes, Effects and Diagnostic Analysis) reports and FSM (Functional Safety Manual)
- TÜV Rheinland-certified functional safety diagnostic libraries for ASIL C-compliant designs.
- A functional safety reference application showing the steps required to develop compliant designs; and the associated documentation that must be provided to demonstrate compliance (ASIL B or ASIL C).
- - Various functional safety analysis reports and certification reports to facilitate compliance and certification.
The complete functional safety ecosystem around the PIC18 and AVR MCUs includes:
- AEC-Q100 grade 1-qualified functional safety designed PIC18-Q84 MCUs with CAN FD and AVR DA MCUs with LIN interfaces - both with hardware support for capacitive touch sensors.
- SGS-TÜV-Saar-certified, ASIL-B-compliant FMEDA and an FSM
- Diagnostic libraries for functional safety
- ASIL-B ready certificates and certification reports to facilitate compliance and certification.
In addition to the functional safety packages, Microchip offers a TÜV-SÜD-certified development tool package for its MPLAB ecosystem to simplify tool qualification. This includes the MPLAB XC functional safety compiler, a functional safety manual for the compiler, as well as safety plans and tool classification and qualification reports, the MPLAB X integrated development environment (IDE), MPLAB code coverage and all programs in the MPLAB development ecosystem.